National Women’s Team 3x3 Head Coach
Wheelchair Basketball Wales – Supported by Disability Sport Wales
National Women’s Team 3x3 Head Coach
Reporting to WWBA and Disability Sport Wales, the Head Coach will be responsible for leading the Wales 3 x 3 Women’s National Team with a view to potentially achieving success at international level.
This position is voluntary until 31st August 2022, subject to performance reviews.
As necessary to fulfil the requirements of the voluntary role. Some evening and weekend commitment required.
To be discussed with WWBA and Disability Sport Wales.
Roles & Responsibilities
To lead the organisational, technical, tactical and physical development of the 3 x 3 Women’s wheelchair basketball programme in Wales
• To identify athletes who demonstrate the potential to represent Wales through a pathway programme, building strong relationships with athletes and pathway coaches
• To design and implement an international standard programme that produces high performance athletes utilising structures and resources in Wales
• To build a team culture where all members are valued and to create an environment where each player is able to consistently perform to their potential
• To work closely with WWBA and Disability Sport Wales to identify and select players for the Women’s 3 x 3 squad
• To help facilitate a high quality domestic and international training and competition formula to ensure the 3 x 3 programme delivers optimum results
• To monitor and evaluate athlete performance using relevant data to ensure standards are met and potential is recognised
• To ensure Individual Performance Plans are implemented, and reviewed, liaising with club coaches to ensure that the training needs of performance athletes is met on a local level
• To be responsible for leading coaching and preparation of the Wales 3 x 3 squad and individual team members using effective teaching/coaching strategies to enhance individual development and team performance
• To maintain high ethical standards in coaching, keeping up-to-date with current knowledge, skills and qualifications
• To share expertise and knowledge through the WWBA coaches’ network, ensuring support for identified athletes on the pathway
• To have an understanding and appreciation of the need to respect confidentiality
• To ensure duty of care to athletes is met and that safeguarding policy and procedure is enforced
• To support the development and maintenance of a successful image and profile for Wales Wheelchair Basketball and contribute to any public relations, communications and media requests as appropriate with team members.
• To undertake training appropriate to the role
• Comply with and enforce relevant policies and procedures, in particular the Coaches Code of Conduct.
• Uphold the values of WWBA, namely: Integrity, Inclusion, Excellence, Collaboration, Transparency and Ambition
• Effective leadership experience in a wheelchair basketball environment with a proven track record of achieving results
• Experience of coaching at National League level
• Excellent knowledge level of wheelchair basketball, including excellent technical knowledge and awareness of coaching trends
• Knowledge of BWB & IWBA rules and regulations.
• Skilful and persuasive communication skills with a good understanding of the performance wheelchair basketball environment and the needs of elite players
• Understanding of how individual players are motivated and able to vary approaches to develop excellent performance and achieve the best from existing talent
• Have an understanding and appreciation of the need to respect confidentiality
• Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
• Have high integrity and openness combined with a commitment to good governance
• Willingness to volunteer irregular hours and, when needed to travel across Wales and the UK
• A strong relationship with wheelchair basketball clubs and their head coaches across Wales and the UK
• Experience and ability in supporting the holistic development of athletes
• Understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities
The applicant will be required to hold at least a Level 2 coaching certificate with a commitment to achieving a level 3 qualification within 18 months of appointment. The applicant will hold a current British Wheelchair Basketball Coach Licence, valid Safeguarding & Protecting Children/Adults Certificate & valid Emergency First Aid Certificate. The role is subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Ready to apply?
If, having read all the information in this pack, you are interested in applying for Wales 3 x 3 Women’s Team Head Coach, you should send by 31st December 2020
• A CV
• A covering letter (addressing the points in the person specification)
• Pdf copies of your Coach’s licence, coaching qualifications & other supporting certificates.
Send to: email@example.com
Interviews will take place via video conference on 15th January 2021.
If you have any questions regarding the role please contact - Chris Wilson, WWBA Chair on 07923 246408