Role: High Performance Personal Care & Sports Assistant
Salary: £19,760 - £21,840 pro rata (28 days annual leave allowance pro rata)
Contract: Full time and part time vacancies – flexible hours
Period: To support this Paralympic Cycle – Present to 2024
Location: Trecastle, Brecon, Wales, UK.
Closing Date for applications:
5pm Friday 4th March 2022, Interviews to be held w/c Monday 7th and Monday 14th March 2022.
A personal assistant to work with a Paralympic athlete to help enable him to achieve his goal of winning a medal at the Paris Paralympic Games in 2024.
Table tennis is a fine precision game which requires a huge amount of focus and great hand eye coordination. It is played at national and international level by athletes with hugely varying disabilities.
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved with the GB Para TT squad off the back of their most successful Paralympic Games to date. The Paris Paralympic cycle will involve high level performance from athletes vying for medals at major competitions such as the World Ranking Tournaments, European and World Championships.
The client is a male with a spinal cord injury who lives with his wife and pet dog in Trecastle, Brecon. He is a member of the Great Britain Para Table Tennis World Class Performance Programme, he was a Paralympic Gold medallist at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
He is looking to build and develop his professional workforce to help him get back to performing at the highest level and compete for medals at Paris 2024. In order to achieve this he is looking to recruit a small team of Personal Assistants to enhance the delivery of his training, development and competition programme.
About the job
You would be joining a small team of personal assistants to assist in the client’s daily personal care and training programme. The job would include;
- Being present for daily training sessions as his ‘Performance Assistant’, you will be seen as a vital part of the team.
- Assisting with the client’s physical conditioning programme which involves a resistance training programme, as well as a cardiovascular conditioning programme.
- Assisting with the client’s daily performance stretching routine.
- Accompanying the client on monthly training camps in the UK. These are usually five-day Performance Camp weeks based in the English Institute of Sport, Sheffield.
- Accompanying the client on competitions both in the UK and internationally. The sport is global and the international season usually runs from March to September, with training and domestic competitions running throughout the year.
Personal tasks and duties to be discussed with potential candidates at interview.
- You would preferably have a keen interest and background in sport
- You will be able to demonstrate high performance behaviours
- You will have the ability to embrace challenge and maintain a constant search for performance improvements with the client
- You will be able to effectively interact with the performance staff and athletes to maximise performance gains with and for the client
- You will be physically strong, caring and have a good sense of humour
- You will be responsible, confident, sociable, loyal, reliable, kind and patient.
- Clean and tidy in both appearance and ways
- Have English as your first language
- You must hold a full clean driving license
- Enhanced DBS Check upon employment
- National Insurance Number (you will be employed and receive PAYE)
- Successful candidate(s) will require an up to date passport in order to assist the client with international travel to training and competitions.
You must be able to respect the client and his family’s privacy and understand the need for confidentiality in all areas of work.
To be successful in this role, you should have a flexible approach to working hours, including the ability to remain focussed during concentrated periods of activity. You would be working with a high performing athlete who is part of a high performing team in an exciting and high profile sporting environment. The nature of the role means that it will be necessary to travel with the International Team and work long hours, balanced with home-based training where hours may be shorter.
Although this position is primarily to assist in his Sporting life, there is an element of personal care required. Previous care experience, although useful is not essential as full training in the client’s particular needs is provided.
This would include:
- Personal Care
- Health Care
- Daily Living
- Night Time Care (when away on major competitions)
How to apply
To apply for the role please send a covering letter outlining your relevant or transferable knowledge, skills and experience and why you believe you are a suitable candidate along with an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org