UK Disability Inclusion Training
The UK Disability Inclusion Training project has been a landmark – the first of its kind within disability sport, and indicates a significant change in the working practices of the Home Nations Disability Sport Organisations (HNDSO) of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England.
Historically the provision of disability inclusion training has been delivered by each individual HNDSO, and by a range of external providers within each of the four Nations. There are now 5 versions of the UK DIT workshop, of which the Coaches and Volunteers version is one. This means that you will get a tailored experience reflecting the diversity of your needs, and identifying and reinforcing good practice within your area of the physical activity, sport and leisure industry.
Disability Sport Wales is offering UK DIT courses via a mixture of online and face-to-face learning.
UK DIT Level 1
Learning Intention: Provides a basic introduction to inclusive practice aimed at all of those who are looking to make sport and physical activity sessions more inclusive.
60-minute Online Learning Module
- Available in English and Welsh
- Can be completed at any convenient time
- Developed in partnership with Scottish Disability Sport
- Contains videos, quizzes, and a certificate is awarded at the end
- Cost per person is £12.50
- Suitable for coaches, lead coaches, and volunteers
Suitable for anyone, and available to book at: store.disabilitysportwales.com
UK DIT Level 2
Learning Intention: Provides an introduction to inclusive practice and an understanding of the theory behind it. This course is aimed at level 1 coaches and beyond who are looking to make sport and physical activity sessions more inclusive. It covers an in-depth exploration of the influence of perceptions and experiences, legislation, and classifications.
60-minute Online Learning Module and a 2 hour Digital Classroom Theory Session via Zoom
- Available in English, Welsh, and fully accessible
- Contains discussion, reflection, and a certificate
- Cost per person is £26.50 (bundle with UK DIT Level 1), £20 if bought standalone.
- Aimed at coaches, lead coaches, and senior volunteers
UK DIT Level 3
Learning Intention: Provides an introduction to inclusive practice aimed at lead coaches who are looking to make sport and physical activity sessions more inclusive. Covers the theory of the level 2 course, plus a detailed application of inclusive practice using practical examples to demonstrate how inclusion can be a part of your sessions.
60-minute Online Learning Module, a 2 hour Digital Classroom Theory Session via Zoom, and a 2-hour Face-to-face Practical Session
- Available in English and Welsh
- Contains discussion, reflection, practical sporting activities, and a certificate
- Cost per person is £55.00 (bundle with UK DIT Level 1 and 2)
- Aimed at lead coaches
Within the course you will cover:
- Perceptions and Experiences
- Good coaching practice and the implications
- Challenges to and solutions for participation
- Key points around legislation relating to coaching and volunteering in sport
- Disability Sport pathways and classification
- Where to go for further help and guidance
- The application of this to a practical environment
You can purchase and enrol on a course here: store.disabilitysportwales.com
National Governing Bodies are working in partnership with the HNDSOs to create sport specific UK DIT workshops for their coaches – check with your Governing Body to see if there is a UK DIT (Sport Specific) for your sport.